The Humanities Major requires a total of 30 credit hours. Students must take courses in at least three humanities and/or social science departments or programs with a maximum of 15 hours from one department (excepting HUM in which student will take more than 15 hours). 18 of the 30 credit hours must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
Note: Sharing course work (credit hours) between any of the HUM major tracks and another major is restricted to 6 hours. all other courses taken towards the major must be approved by the HUM undergraduate coordinator. The following courses (9 credit hours) are required of all majors.
Global Humanities Track
This track studies aspects of the cultures of Western civilization and of one non-Western civilization (e.g. Africa, Asia, the Middle East, or Latin America). It is designed to provide the student with knowledge of diverse civilizations and with methods for investigating their differences and commonalities. 30 credit hours, to include the following:
6 hours of introductory and capstone coursework:
- HUM 110/111, Introduction to Humanities
- HUM 424, Senior Seminar in Humanities (The senior essay for this track is to be a comparative and integrative study of a topic that bridges the two civilizations studied.)
24 additional hours to include:
- HUM 206, Contemporary Western Civilization
- HUM 430, European Civilization in World Context
- 9 Hours in aspects of the cultures of Western Civilization, one of which must be an HUM course.
- 9 Hours in aspects of the cultures of non-Western civilization.